This cable supplies an RGB video signal and stereo sound from an Nintendo N64 which has been modified to output RGB video only, which is far superior than the original video cable, plus with an RGB SCART there is no need for TV tuning, simply plug and play. This cable is screened to minimise interference , the SCART plug audio ground is connected to reduce the buzzing noise often experienced with some cables, and both ground pins 5 and 6 on the Multi AV connector are connected via separate wires to the SCART plug to also help reduce noise.
It also benefits from internal capacitors connected in series with each RGB video line to remove any direct current (DC) signals, which may impede the true alternating current signal used in signal transmissions. And the sync signal type is available as either "sync over s-video luma" (luma sync) or CSYNC also known as composite sync, which has a built in video sync separator circuit and is powered directly by the N64 console.
Why use CSYNC?:
- For monitors which require CSYNC to function, like the Sony PVM 2950G, PVM 2950QM, NEC Multisync 4PG and XM29 plus.
- When using Switching Extron Crosspoint Matrix Switcher.
- If your a CSYNC FanBoy.
CSYNC will also work on most regular modern television sets. For further information on CSYNC please our Demystifying RGB Sync guide.
Notes for RGB modification - How is this cable wired?:
- 75 Ohm resistor between pins 9 (sync) and 5 (ground) inside the MultiAV plug.
- 470 ohm resistor between output of LM1881 (sync separator circuit) and SCART pin 20.
- 220uF capacitors in series with each RGB line.
So this cable takes regular "sync over composite video" (CSYNC + CVBS) from MultiAV pin 9 then feds this into a sync separator circuit which blocks the CVBS signal and only outputs CSYNC which is connected to SCART pin 20. This CSYNC signal is attenuated using a 470 ohm resistor to make the signal safe for regular consumer video receiving equipment.
- No Tuning required, just plug and play.
- True RGB video & stereo sound.
- Constructed from custom screened cable especially made for Retro Gaming Cables.
- Wired for CSYNC. For further information on sync types please our Demystifying RGB Sync guide.
- Fully wired/ grounded SCART plug using a custom Printed Circuit Board.
- Custom over-molded MultiAV plug with integrated strain relief, manufactured in-house using injection-mould machine.
- Custom ID label on SCART plug.
- Wired for composite sync (CSYNC) using built in sync separator circuit.
- Optional upgrade to RCA / Phono breakout for use with SCART to Component video converters which don't extract audio from the SCART cable.
- Quality Panasonic Capacitors
For further information on how to modify your N64 for RGB video please visit this excellent modification guide by retroRGB.com. Many customers who own the PAL French RGB modified N64 have had great success with using the GameCube RGB SCART cable on their N64. All cables are tested before dispatch. Made in Great Britain. This is not an official Nintendo Product. The SCART Printed Circuit Board Design is Copyright © of Retro Gaming Gables.
|Console||Nintendo N64 (With RGB mod only). NTSC and PAL.|
|Video and audio format|
|Sync type||CSYNC via built in sync stripper.|
|Connector A||Nintendo AV Multi Port.|
|Connector B||EuroSCART / Péritel|